Current:Home > NewsGeorge Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos -CryptoBase
George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-05 00:31:23
NEW YORK − Former U.S. Rep. George Santos alleged in a lawsuit filed Saturday that late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deceived him into making videos on the Cameo app that were used to ridicule the disgraced New York Republican on the show.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. district court for the southern district of New York names Kimmel, ABC and Walt Disney Co. as defendants. A Disney representative listed as a media contact for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show didn't immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment.
Santos, who was expelled from the House of Representatives last year after being charged with multiple counts of fraud and stealing from donors, is suing over alleged copyright infringement, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos "capitalizing on and ridiculing" his "gregarious personality," the lawsuit alleges.
Through Cameo, Santos received requests from individuals and businesses seeking personalized video messages. Unbeknownst to Santos, Kimmel submitted at least 14 requests that used phony names and narratives, according to the complaint.
Starting in December the videos were played on a segment, " Will Santos Say It? " the suit says.
'Soft-brained wackos':Jimmy Kimmel hits back at Aaron Rodgers after he speculates comic is on Epstein list
In one of the clips, Santos offers congratulations to the purported winner of a beef-eating contest, calling the feat of consuming 6 pounds of ground beef in under 30 minutes "amazing and impressive."
"Frankly, Kimmel's fake requests were funny, but what he did was clear violation of copyright law," Robert Fantone, an attorney for Santos, said.
Academy AwardsJimmy Kimmel gets help from Ryan Gosling's Ken, Weird Barbie on way to Oscars Land
Santos is seeking statutory damages totaling $750,000 for the five videos he created that were played on the show and various social media platforms. He also asks for other damages to be determined at trial.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He also is alleged to have made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
On Tuesday, Democrat Tom Suozzi won a special election for Santos' former seat.
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- A Minnesota meat processing plant that is accused of hiring minors agrees to pay $300K in penalties
- The Golden Bachelor: Everything You Need to Know
- Special election in western Pennsylvania to determine if Democrats or GOP take control of the House
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Ill worker rescued from reseach station in Antarctica now in a hospital in Australia
- Sharon Osbourne calls Ashton Kutcher rudest celebrity she's met: 'Dastardly little thing'
- Mysterious golden egg found 2 miles deep on ocean floor off Alaska — and scientists still don't know what it is
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Pelosi announces she'll run for another term in Congress as Democrats seek to retake House
Ranking
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Why we love Bards Alley Bookshop: 'Curated literature and whimsical expressions of life'
- Children in remote Alaska aim for carnival prizes, show off their winnings and launch fireworks
- Unraveling long COVID: Here's what scientists who study the illness want to find out
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque
- Hurricane Lee is charting a new course in weather and could signal more monster storms
- New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Jimmy Buffett's new music isn't over yet: 3 songs out now, album due in November
NATO member Romania finds new drone fragments on its territory from war in neighboring Ukraine
Special election in western Pennsylvania to determine if Democrats or GOP take control of the House
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
'The Fraud' asks questions as it unearths stories that need to be told
A man bought a metal detector to get off the couch. He just made the gold find of the century in Norway.
Powerful earthquake strikes Morocco, causing shaking in much of the country